The ‘Classic Antarctic’ route. This cruise delivers you to wondrous landscapes found in one of the harshest environments on Earth. The great star-actors of Antarctica are the penguins and in total seven species could appear before your very own eyes.
• Visit Neko Harbour - a small bay in the larger Andvord Bay. A pleasant landing beach on the Antarctic Continent, Neko Harbour is bordered on one side by giant glaciers vaulting out of the sea.
• Discover Paradise Bay. When it comes to pure Antarctic beauty, Paradise Bay remains the unrivaled champion. Mammoth glaciers spear out of the steel-blue sea, icebergs that have run aground lie shattered over the rocks like pulverized cathedrals. The water is thick with ice floes and whales, gentoo penguins and crabeater seals. The whole scene looks like the fantastic sculpture of some all-powerful ice spirit. Paradise Bay is located just north of the Lemaire Strait.
• Enjoy Snowshoeing. Explore your way inland from the Polar shorelines with a wide variety of snowshoeing expeditions built for everyone.
• Explore Weddell Seal. Named after the British navigator and sailor James Weddell, these extensively studied seals live farther south than any other mammal.
• Travel through Lemaire Channel. The gateway to the far south of the Antarctic Peninsula.
• Hondius Special Activities. Being a Hondius passenger comes with its share of perks, among them an extensive array of activities entirely unique to the ship itself. In addition to vibrant musical acts and performances, Hondius offers a wide range of interactive workshops that explore such topics as astronomy, navigation, and other related fields. These interactive workshops, captivating exhibitions, and vibrant performances are planned both on the ship as well as out in nature.
Vessel Type: Polar Class Expedition Ship
Length: 107.6 metres
Passenger Capacity: 170
Hondius is the first-registered Polar Class 6 vessel in the world, meeting the latest and highest Lloyd’s Register demands for ice-strengthened cruise vessels. Hondius also exceeds the requirements of the Polar Code as adopted by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), allowing you to enjoy the polar regions as much as possible while impacting them as little as possible. Upon completion, Hondius will be the most flexible, advanced, innovative ice-strengthened vessel in the polar regions. It is optimized for exploratory voyages that provide you the utmost first-hand contact with the Arctic and Antarctica.
Hondius offers high-quality accommodation for 170 passengers in six grand suites with balconies (27 square meters, 291 square feet), eight junior suites (19 to 20 square meters, 205 to 215 square feet), eight superior cabins (20 to 21 square meters, 215 to 226 square feet), 11 twin deluxe cabins, (19 to 21 square meters, 205 to 226 square feet), 14 twin window cabins (12 to 14 square meters, 129 to 151 square feet) as well as 28 twin porthole cabins, two triple porthole cabins, and four quadruple porthole cabins that vary in size from 12 to 18 square meters, or 129 to 194 square feet. The passenger capacity certificate for Hondius is 196 persons. One deck consists of a large observation lounge and separate lecture room, which are reserved for a wide variety of interactive workshops, exhibitions, and performances particular to Hondius. Though elegantly designed in stylish mid-century modern décor, this vessel holds true to Oceanwide’s distinctive cozy and informal atmosphere.
It is our philosophy to keep sea time short so that we can focus instead on fast, effective access to shore and near-shore activities. To give you the maximum contact with the nature and wildlife you traveled so far to see, we employ a tough fleet of rigid-hull inflatable Zodiac boats that guarantee swift and safe landing operations for the passengers. Hondius has two separate gangways and a sheltered indoor Zodiac embarkation platform that can also be used for special outdoor activities, such as kayaking.
Our top priority is taking advantage of every wildlife and terrain opportunity as it occurs. To keep our itineraries flexible itineraries and our response time rapid, Hondius is equipped with advanced stabilizers and two main engines capable of powering the vessel up to 15 knots. But Hondius sacrifices no warmth to achieve its keen polar edge: You will have 72 crew and staff members (including expedition and hotel staff) at your service while on board, ensuring that what little time you do spend on the ship you will spend comfortably entertained.
Call: 1300 669 780
(1300 669 780)
Call: (61 7) 3850 7600
(617 3850 7600)
Visit: 222A Barry Parade
(PO Box 132)
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
We're on the corner Barry Parade and Gipps Street, next door to Rocksports Indoor Climbing