Curiosity, surpassing oneself, being open to the world. Humans have always looked toward what some would call the ‘impossible elsewhere’. With Le Commandant Charcot, which is capable of sailing into the very heart of the ice, we can dream even bigger and glimpse new horizons. This polar odyssey at the boundaries of the world follows the path of the first to discover Antarctica and sharpens our senses to let us see all the riches of a journey marked by the nuances of the ice. Set off on an all-new half-circumnavigation of Antarctica from the New Zealand shores to Ushuaia, the city at the end of the world.
The first penguins will appear on the horizon as you approach the shores of Macquarie Island. This island’s biodiversity is so abundant that it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site: four species of penguin (king, royal, Gentoo and southern rockhopper) breed here.
The attraction exerted by the White Continent’s infinite territories and their mythical names will soon intensify further. Adelie Land, Victoria Land, Marie Byrd Land. The first will plunge you into the heart of the French polar adventure where Paul-Émile Victor founded the Dumont d’Urville scientific station, in honour of the eponymous explorer. The second, claimed by the Australians, is forever linked to the name of the explorer Mawson, who defied the winds in Commonwealth Bay, which may exceed 240 km/h (150 mph). As for the third, it is one of the planet’s rare Terra nullius – a territory claimed by no State – whose remoteness and climate have certainly kept it well away from human conquests. Bordered by the Ross Sea to the west and the Amundsen Sea to the east, it will plunge you into a world where wild nature has raised its own cathedrals of ice.
Your crossing beyond the Antarctic Circle will continue in the Bellingshausen Sea where the Charcot and Peter I Islands roll out their icy masses. Le Commandant Charcot will attempt to approach their shores, deemed impassable, before your arrival in the Tierra del Fuego.
• The all-new half-circumnavigation of the Antarctic, an unforgettable trip into the heart of the ice and a continent full of extremes.
• A stopover on Macquarie Island, an Australian sub-Antarctic island classed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its incredible biodiversity.
• A dive into the history of the French and Australian conquest of the South Pole, with the approach to Adelie Land and the Dumont d’Urville scientific station and the discovery of Victoria Land.
• The crossing of five southern seas: Dumont d’Urville, Somov, Ross, Amundsen and Bellingshausen.
• The exploratory approach to some of the most little-known islands in the world: Charcot Island, Peter I Island and the Marie Byrd Land Islands.
• Outings and shore visits in a Zodiac® dinghy or hovercraft with an reinforced team of naturalist-guides.
• The landscapes: ice shelves, surrealist glaciers, monumental icebergs, immersion in the heart of the ice floe.
• The wildlife: crabeater seals, leopard seals, Weddell seals, humpback whales, orcas, king penguins and Adelie penguins.
• Many activities: kayaking, hiking or snowshoeing, polar plunge without suit, polar swim with drysuit, participative science.
Vessel Type: Polar Luxury Expedition
Passenger Capacity: 135 cabins
Be the first aboard Le Commandant-Charcot, the world's luxury polar exploration vessel, and enjoy a unique sailing experience in the Arctic or Antarctic!
With its hybrid propulsion combining liquefied natural gas (LNG) and electric generators, Le Commandant-Charcot has been designed to minimise the environmental impact of travel to the furthest latitudes.
The decoration of the ship, imagined by two internationally renowned design and architecture firms - the studio of Jean-Philippe Nuel and Wilmotte & Associés - is designed to be in harmony with the environment. The approach is contemporary with the desire to create a warm and elegant setting; stone, wood and leather recall the natural environment in which the ship is sailing.
Equipped with just 135 staterooms including 31 suites with balconies and outside views, Le Commandant-Charcot welcomes you in an intimate and refined atmosphere. Outstanding gastronomy in the two restaurants, relaxation in the indoor pool surrounded by its winter garden, relaxation in the well-being area with sauna and Snow Room... Like on a private yacht, each of our guests is unique.
Le Commandant-Charcot has many common areas that are designed and equipped to meet all of your needs while preserving the intimacy of each passenger.
A 177 m² reception area includes: A reception/concierge desk, An expeditions desk, The ship’s administrative services, The sales office, manned by our Hospitality & Travel Manager officer, Our boutique which sells clothing, jewellery, beauty products, postcards and various accessories, The image & photo desk.
The different lounges: A 302 m² main lounge including a 28 m² cigar lounge, a tea corner and a bar, with live music on selected evenings, A 400 m² panoramic bar and lounge, An open-air Bar.
The recreation spaces
Fitness & Beauty Corner: Fitness room: Elliptic, running machines, bicycles...
Beauty Corner: Hairdresser, Massage rooms, Sauna, Snow Room, Nail Shop.
Pool area: Indoor Pool and winter garden - Outdoor Pool
Theatre: Capacity: 270-276 - Main show room for conferences and live entertainment on selected evenings - State-of-the-art audio and video technology.
Leisure area: Public areas - Library - Medical centre.
Call: 1300 669 780
(1300 669 780)
Call: (61 7) 3850 7600
(617 3850 7600)
Visit: 222A Barry Parade
(PO Box 132)
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
We're on the corner Barry Parade and Gipps Street, next door to Rocksports Indoor Climbing