On Saturday, December 4, 2021, a total solar eclipse will run over the South Atlantic towards Antarctica. Albatros Expeditions will be in place exactly at the center of the eclipse umbra during our fantastic voyage to South Georgia and Antarctica, aboard our very own ship, Ocean Atlantic.
The eclipse begins early in the morning east of Falkland Islands. From here the moon shadow speeds south at 10,000 km per hour towards the South Orkney Island and Antarctica. Albatros Expeditions has selected the best possible observation position east of South Orkney, where the sun is 11 degrees above the horizon. This wondrous phenomenon will last for almost 2 minutes.
The solar eclipse is just one out of several highlights of this once-in-a-lifetime voyage.
We follow in the path of the courageous explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton – just in the opposite direction: From Ushuaia to the wildlife paradise of South Georgia. From here to the eclipse path and onwards to South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula. We will skirt the periphery of the Weddell Sea, birthplace of the mighty tabular icebergs, and cruise close to Shackleton’s harsh winter-camp on the shore of Elephant Island.
The sub-Antarctic islands and Antarctic Peninsula are a nature photographer’s paradise and we will attempt as many shore landings as possible per day, weather conditions permitting, bringing you close to Antarctica’s beauty. During our days at sea, a variety of onboard edutainment activities, from lectures to workshops, wildlife spotting and eclipse photography, will be possible.
• BOAT TRIPS. Wide-open spaces, crisp air, seemingly endless landscapes and the absence of modernity, enjoyed from the water's comfort during a delightful boat trip.
• CITIZEN SCIENCE PROJECTS. The most important step we can take to understand how our world is changing, is actively studying it with the help of experts who can show us the way.
• KAYAKING. Glide through the waters and take in the royal grace of the icebergs, see the varied birds and seals, and maybe even the whales in their natural habitat under the supervision of experienced kayak guides.
• LECTURES. Our primary focus is knowledge, and we apply this to every aspect of a journey. From the staff that forms our expedition team, to the routes our ship follows, and of course, the program onboard.
• PHOTOGRAPHY. We always have a dedicated expedition photographer onboard to document the voyage and share their passion for photography through lectures and during landings and zodiac cruises.
• WILDLIFE OBSERVATIONS. One of the greatest pleasures of our expeditions, is being able to experience the Polar regions' wildlife from a safe distance, respectfully enjoying their beauty in their natural habitat.
• ZODIAC. Essential for expedition cruises, Zodiacs are robust boats that can go up on a beach, a rocky outcrop, a river bank or even an ice floe push through bergy bits of ice floating in the water.
Vessel Type: Ice-class small expedition cruise ship
Length: 140 meters
Passenger Capacity: 198
Built / rebuilt / renovated: 1985 / 2010 / 2016
Ocean Atlantic is the perfect vessel for expedition cruising in Antarctic waters! Newly renovated in 2016 and with an international ice class rating of 1B, she is one of the strongest ships operating in Antarctica. Her high maneuverability, shallow draft and strong engines allow for extended voyages into isolated fjords, creating exciting adventures for any Antarctica traveler.
Ocean Atlantic is newly renovated (2016) with elegant common areas and accommodation for 198 passengers.
The ship was built in 1985 and underwent an extensive rebuild in 2010. With a length of 140m she has ample space on the multiple decks for several lecture halls, a relaxed restaurant serving 4-star international cuisine, professionally staffed bars and observation platforms – and even a pool.
All common areas on the Erickson Deck feature large panel windows, enabling passengers to quickly spot passing whales and photographic sights from the comfort of indoor lounges.
All private cabins are stylish appointed and feature individual bathroom facilities, phone for internal calls, individual temperature controls and TV. Ideal for relaxation, the vessels’ accommodation ranges in size from 11 - 35 m2 and are designed with either portholes or windows.
Daily shore landings at penguin rookeries, research stations and other Antarctic wonders are made possible by her fleet of 20 Zodiacs.
Restaurant & Bar
The bright, spacious restaurant prepares 4-star international cuisine. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included in your tour price. All meals are served in the restaurant where you can enjoy the spectacular views. You have free seating at all meals. Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style, while dinner is a la carte. Meals, including daily snacks, are prepared by a professional chef. Coffee, tea and water are free during the entire cruise; other drinks can be purchased in the restaurant and at the bar. In the event you are not onboard at lunch time we will prepare a lunch bag for you in the morning, which you can take ashore. In the afternoon, we offer tea and coffee in the lounge. We also offer a midnight snack between 22:00 h and 24:00 h.
The professionally staffed bar offers a selection of soft drinks, juices, wines, liquors, spirits and beer that can be charged to your shipboard account.
Observation Deck / Pool
Enjoy the time on our observation deck while relaxing in a deckchair, take a swim in the pool or soak in the jaccuzi.
Library: Our board library offers a wide range of multilingual books ranging from fiction to travel literature. Curl up with a book, watch a DVD and broaden your understanding of the region's history, flora, fauna, climate, scientific contributions and more.
Entertainment: During all Albatros Expedition cruises, the focus is placed on exploration and education. From the ship's well-equipped, onboard lecture theatres, the expedition team will host a series of presentations and workshops on various topics.
Shore Excursions & Landings: The expedition team will organize a series of Zodiac excursions and shore landing activities to bring you closer in touch with your natural surroundings.
Gym & Wellness
Gym facilities and a sauna are available onboard the ship.
Large windows, comfortable seating and even binoculars create the ideal lookout to enjoy the ever-changing landscapes.
Call: 1300 669 780
(1300 669 780)
Call: (61 7) 3850 7600
(617 3850 7600)
Visit: 222A Barry Parade
(PO Box 132)
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
We're on the corner Barry Parade and Gipps Street, next door to Rocksports Indoor Climbing