On Saturday, December 4, 2021, a total solar eclipse will run over the South Atlantic towards Antarctica. Albatros Expeditions will be in place exactly at the center of the eclipse umbra during our fantastic voyage to South Georgia and Antarctica.
The eclipse begins early in the morning east of Falkland Islands. From here the moon shadow speeds south at 10,000 km per hour towards the South Orkney Island and Antarctica. Albatros Expeditions has selected the best possible observation position east of South Orkney, where the sun is 11 degrees above the horizon. This wondrous phenomenon will last for almost 2 minutes.
The solar eclipse is just one out of several highlights of this once-in-a-lifetime voyage.
We follow in the path of the courageous explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton – just in the opposite direction: From Ushuaia to the wildlife paradise of South Georgia. From here to the eclipse path and onwards to South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula. We will skirt the periphery of the Weddell Sea, birthplace of the mighty tabular icebergs, and cruise close to Shackleton’s harsh winter-camp on the shore of Elephant Island.
The sub-Antarctic islands and Antarctic Peninsula are a nature photographer’s paradise and we will attempt as many shore landings as possible per day, weather conditions permitting, bringing you close to Antarctica’s beauty. During our days at sea, a variety of onboard edutainment activities, from lectures to workshops, wildlife spotting and eclipse photography, will be possible.
• BOAT TRIPS. Wide-open spaces, crisp air, seemingly endless landscapes and the absence of modernity, enjoyed from the water's comfort during a delightful boat trip.
• CITIZEN SCIENCE PROJECTS. The most important step we can take to understand how our world is changing, is actively studying it with the help of experts who can show us the way
• KAYAKING. Glide through the waters and take in the royal grace of the icebergs, see the varied birds and seals, and maybe even the whales in their natural habitat under the supervision of experienced kayak guides.
• LECTURES. Our primary focus is knowledge, and we apply this to every aspect of a journey. From the staff that forms our expedition team, to the routes our ship follows, and of course, the program onboard.
• PHOTOGRAPHY. We always have a dedicated expedition photographer onboard to document the voyage and share their passion for photography through lectures and during landings and zodiac cruises.
• WILDLIFE OBSERVATIONS. One of the greatest pleasures of our expeditions, is being able to experience the Polar regions' wildlife from a safe distance, respectfully enjoying their beauty in their natural habitat.
• ZODIAC. Essential for expedition cruises, Zodiacs are robust boats that can go up on a beach, a rocky outcrop, a river bank or even an ice floe push through bergy bits of ice floating in the water.
Vessel Type: Luxury X-Bow®-Infinity Class Vessel
Passenger Capacity: 198 passengers in 93 cabins
With a total of 93 comfortable cabins for our guests, all with a view of the ocean, (and 90% with their own balcony), several restaurants, a wellness area, an Albatros Nordic Bar, an open deck dining facility, a modern lecture lounge, and other amenities, the vessel will also be environmentally-friendly onboard, with an implementation of the Green Initiative Program, ensuring both absolute comfort and sustainability for our guests.
Now, for the technical details:
With the highest Polar code 6 and Ice class 1A, Ocean Victory is the ideal vessel for small-ship cruising due to her sturdy construction and X-Bow®-Infinity class, which provides high stability in rough weather and allows for the smoothest movements on high waves, and a Solas 2012 classification which facilitates a safe return to port.
The vessel is part of a brand new generation of low-energy vessels, with 4 diesel engines and 2 electro engines, all controlled electronically to optimize speed and fuel consumption.
Dinner always starts with delicious hot soups, cold cuts and crisp, fresh salads. Several choices of entrees are offered each evening, to accommodate different tastes and dietary requirements; always including a meat choice, fish choice and vegetarian choice.
After dinner, freshly prepared desserts, including ship-made ice cream or cakes are a great way to end a meal and satisfy any sweet tooth.
A selection of wines and beers is available to perfectly compliment your visit to our restaurant… and if you’re interested in relaxing during your time off from activities and landings, delight onboard Ocean Atlantic by raising your glass to the experience of a lifetime!
Our bar is fully equipped with a variety of cocktails, beers, non-alcoholic beverages and more, to quench your thirst and reward the explorer in you.
Knud Rasmussen Library
Honoring the great explorers, the lecture room allows for an adventure within an adventure. Here you can find sagas, narratives and practical information on the polar regions, in various languages and subjects. From encyclopedias of the polar wildlife and fauna to narrations of the many challenges faced by the first expeditions, this is the perfect location for entertaining your brain while we sail.
Albatros Nordic Bar Lounge
The Albatros Nordic Bar Lounge provides a bit of warm Nordic hospitality to the Antarctic. Offering a large choice of drinks, including wine tasting menus from Gerard Bertrand, this is the perfect place to relax after an unforgettable day and make new international friends.
Albatros Observation Lounge
Celebrate your dream polar adventure, engage in conversation and relax while admiring the icy landscape of the polar regions. At our Nordic Bar Lounge we aim to create a fun and enjoyable atmosphere with varied cocktails and drinks, appetizers and smaller events. Or try one of our unique wine-tasting menus from Gerard Bertrand.
Shackleton Lecture Lounge
What makes a good expedition? It is a combination of its landings and the experiences onboard the ship. At Albatros Expeditions we are honored to have an amalgam of experts in our expedition team, from climatologists and geologists to renown photographers, all eager to share their adventures and knowledge with our guests.
Call: 1300 669 780
(1300 669 780)
Call: (61 7) 3850 7600
(617 3850 7600)
Visit: 222A Barry Parade
(PO Box 132)
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
We're on the corner Barry Parade and Gipps Street, next door to Rocksports Indoor Climbing